Tonight, on an episode of Scrubs, I saw something that kind of pissed me off. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Scrubs, but this rubbed me the wrong way. Carla and Turk are having problems getting pregnant, they are meeting with a counselor (I don’t know if it was a doctor or a counselor) and the counselor proceeds to tell them the reason they are not getting pregnant is because they are too stressed and…wait for it…If they just relax it will happen. Why oh why does every T.V. show, movie, etc. have to throw in this gem? Seriously, how is relaxing going to increase a low sperm count, make a woman with PCOS ovulate, lengthen a short LP. The media just perpetrates the myth that if you only relax you will get pregnant. If you are having problems getting pregnant relaxing is not an option. There are always temps to chart, sticks to pee on, timed sex to be had. Oh but that’s not all once you do finally ovulate there is the wonderful thing called the 2 week wait. The 2 week wait is the time between ovulation and the arrival of your period or a positive HPT. The 2 week wait is when your body goes crazy and starts acting unusual enough to make you say hmmmm…. just maybe…that’s a different twinge in my abdomen, I feel kinda nauseous, my left pinky toe hurts. Then on the last day of your LP you get to run to the bathroom every five minutes to see if the dreaded bitch of a period has shown and then when she does you get to start all over again. There is no relaxing. There is no break when you are not waiting and anticipating something to happen. Getting pregnant becomes a chore. Its no longer fun and exciting. If you have been though it or are going through it you can identify with Carla Turk when she half jokingly says to her husband “If you don’t knock me up tonight, I am going to kill myself.”
2 comments:
I've seen that episode and thought the same thing. Why must everyone keep clinging on to that idea? I've heard it from almost everyone. The biggest offender is my mother. Do you hear it a lot too?
your blog is velly velly pretty.
Post a Comment